Thought I’ll share my kitchen from a post for the In My Kitchen Series for A Diary of Lovely.
———————–I’m always excited when Helena of A Diary of Lovely
asks me to participate in one of her fabulous series but I was a little panicky as my kitchen is not my dream kitchen. I want it to be brighter, refreshing, have white cabinets, more cottage-like. But alas, I think most of us dream of the dream kitchen. I also rarely cook and when I do, it’s not the best…but I can mix up things together. Does that count? So, here you go…
Our tableware and glassware is mostly white & clear. I’m starting my own white hobnail collection that I hope Eddie Ross
will be proud of.
Eat in or Out: Out…most definitely!
Take Away or Restaurant: Restaurant
I cook for: my daughter & husband, if ever or whenever it happens 🙂
Healthy food: tomatoes, egg whites, onion omellette
Indulgence: Anything sweet that’s moussey or have whip cream on top! I have a hopelessly sweet tooth!
Weekend meal: Tex-Mex at a restaurant overlooking Lake Austin
Date dinner: Bacon Shrimp & Grits with Pommes Frites + a French 75 at Bess Bistro
Quick fix: A protein shake
Mild: Cholula Sauce
Spicy: Thai Green Curry, Ghost Pepper
My kitchen is: totally needs to be used more!
Favourite gadget: our Cutco knife! it cuts sooo good!
In the kitchen, I couldn’t live without: the milk frother, my morning cafe au lait just has to be perfect, thanks to my husband!
My cooking bible: Google
My must have ingredients: coriander/cilantro, chili sauce
Spicy or mild: most definitely S.P.I.C.Y.
My Recipe: Ack, I may be the most undomesticated woman when it comes to the kitchen…I tried cooking before but it never did like me. Once in a while, I would attempt it. So here it goes, it is the quintessential summer cake and I just love strawberries!So today, I’d like to share a recipe for strawberry shortcake.
No, not this one…
But this one:
Here’s the easy way: Buy a pound cake or Angel Food cake + fresh strawberries + whip cream. Get it all together however you want it and Voila!
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups cake flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 – 2 cups heavy cream
Whole strawberries, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cream butter, 3/4 cup sugar and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition.
3. Sift together cake flour, baking powder, and salt.
4. Add dry ingredients to the batter, alternating with the buttermilk in 3 additions. Divide among the prepared pans.
1. In a large chilled bowl, whip the cream with the remaining 2 tbsp of sugar until stiff.
2. Assemble the cake with cake, strawberries, whipped cream and repeat. Finish with your best strawberries on top.